Oriental Watchman Publishing House
The Oriental Watchman Publishing House (OWPH) is one of the 63 publishing houses belonging to the Seventh-day Adventist Church worldwide.
OWPH is situated in the SDA mission campus at Salisbury Park in Pune, the ninth most populous city in India, which is 560 meters above sea level and known also as the cultural capital of Maharashtra.
Before moving to Pune in 1924, it was born in Calcutta in the year 1903 as an answer to the prayer of early believers who in 1898 started publishing work in Southern Asia without owning a printing press. They prayed for one own printing facility to print and publish literature in every language of Southern Asia, to proclaim the everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to carry the message of right living. It grew steadily and was relocated to Karmatar in 1905 and then to Lucknow in 1909.
OWPH is presently manned by a 50 member strong team of dedicated leaders, full time editors and workers known to be resourceful. It publishes literature for Church nurture, health and Gospel outreach.
To print and publish literature in every language of Southern Asia Division, to proclaim the everlasting Gospel, and to prepare people spiritually, mentally, physically and socially for the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Anticipating the soon coming of Christ, the vision of Oriental Watchman Publishing House is to assist the Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Southern Asia Division, to fulfil the Gospel Commission of proclaiming the Three Angels’ Message. And to this end, we visualize:
- That by Divine grace and blessings, and the presence of the Holy Spirit, and inspired by the printed page, our employees live out the life of Jesus Christ.
- That Divine presence fosters their professional growth, and sees them through the production process.
- That continuous growth be accomplished by developing a healthy financial base, through prudent use of resources.
- That all employees be treated with dignity, equality, impartiality, and periodical gestures of appreciation.
Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we publish the end time message without compromise, as represented by the acronym POWER:
- Prayer gets you the power you need to plan, print and promote the mission of our Lord.
- Obedience keeps you in constant communication, and helps you follow rules binding on employees.
- Work has dignity; it’s your best privilege to do the best for your family, friends, OWPH, the church, and the Lord.
- Evangelism is paramount, as “the work of other angel who comes down from Heaven with great power and who lightens the earth with His Glory” (PM 50) is to be accomplished through our Publishing House.
- Restoration of their Maker’s image in humankind is what Oriental Watchman Publishing House is aiming at, and the printed page is a mighty tool as we march to the goal.